How to manually Install or Update a WordPress theme ?
You’ve found the web design of you dreams, and it happened to be a WordPress theme, it might even be the Customizr Pro theme !
At this stage, we are assuming that
- you know what is WordPress (wikipedia) :)
- you have installed WordPress on your domain name server (First steps in WordPress – must read for new users of WordPress)
- you know what is a WordPress theme
This quick guide describes how to manually install a WordPress theme and activate the automatic upgrades (for premium users) from your WordPress admin.
( To learn how to manually install a plugin, jump to this documentation. )
Install a WordPress theme manually
In order to utilize any of our themes, you’ll need to first install and activate them. The process is just like uploading a normal theme.
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance > Themes > Add New.
- From there you’ll see an option for “Upload” at the top of the screen. Click the “Browse” button, navigate your computer files and select the .ZIP file for your downloaded extension. For an in-depth documentation about WordPress theme manual installation, read the official WordPress.org documentation.
Excellent related WordPress topic : https://wordpress.org/support/topic/uploading-theme-7?replies=2
Update a WordPress theme manually
If your theme is already installed and you wish to manually update it then do the following :
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance > Themes.
- Make sure you activate another theme during the update. A WordPress default theme like Twenty […] is usually a good choice during the update.
- Mouse hover the theme you wish to update, you’ll reveal the Theme Details clickable link. Click on Theme Details.
- On the bottom right corner of the pop-in window displaying the theme’s details, you’ll see a “Delete” red link. (If you don’t see the link, it means that the theme or a child theme of it is active, then go back to point 2 ). Click on the bottom left red Delete link.
- Install the new version of the theme as explained in the first chapter.
WordPress Theme activation
Simply activate the theme like you do for any other theme in your WordPress admin.
Once uploaded, click the “Activate” link.
Activation key settings (for premium users)
For Customizr Pro users : you will receive an activation key along with your purchase confirmation. As long as it is active, this key allows you to get automatic upgrades for the purchased WordPress theme and get access to the support.
To activate your key :
- Go to Appearance > Customizr Pro Key
- Paste your key. (Where to find your activation key ?)
- Save, activate and you’re done.