Inspect your webpages in your browser with the development tools
Browsers development tools
- Recommended Chrome DevTools
- Firefox Firebug
- Safari has Web Inspector (which you switch on in the menu with Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar). Simply right-click and select “Inspect Element” to launch it.
- F12 developer tools in Internet Explorer
For every element on your page, it quickly and easily shows you which CSS rules (and files) are responsible for the styling.
You can work out in seconds how to change the styling of any element. Simply right-click it and select Inspect Element with Firebug.
Once you get more confident with it, you’ll find some really great features that take you to another level.
Video beginner tutorials
- Get started with Google Chrome dev tools in with those video tutorials
- Learn how to use Firebug here. This 6-minute video is getting old, but it’s one of the best-presented I’ve seen.
More online resources
If you prefer reading text to watching a video, here are some really great articles on wordpress.com that go into more detail on how to use developer tools / Firebug (the principles are the same for all tools):
- Great guide; more advanced: Secrets of the Browser Developer Tools